Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

Wes Anderson is fun to me because he is unique and unique and sometimes a little bit unique. Not in an everyday way (if all movies were like this it would get old) but he captures movies in a way that have to be understood to be good. But I get them. Bill Murray is a funny jerk, Owen Wilson is funny without trying (it's nice to have him NOT try), and the story is right up my alley. It's about a sailing film crew that makes documentaries about their adventures in the sea. After years of doing this, Steve Zissou is getting old and his movies have not been very good in the last year. While shooting a documentary, his partner is eaten by a "jaguar shark". Steve vows to seek revenge on this endangered shark but doesn't have the funding to continue the movie. Like I said, right up my alley as weird as it may seem. All in all, I liked this movie a lot (although I don't know if everyone will). There was no reason for it to be rated R, so negative points for that, but I definitely want to watch it again. My favorite Wes Anderson so far. 7/10.
PS>My favorite quote:
Steve Zissou: "We were both bad husbands."
Alistair Hennessey: "I have an excuse, I'm part gay."
Steve Zissou: "Supposedly we all are."
PSS>Kids in Mind Meter:
Sex/Profanity: 6/10
Violence: 5/10
Profanity: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment